The name's familiar but that's about it -- anyone?
  Archive
Posted by:
Jim ®

04/20/2006, 08:05:32
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

The Accidental Publicist

Mickey Cottrell

Wednesday, December 31, 1969 - 4:33 pm

(Photo by Kevin Scanlon)

A prince among independent film publicists, Mickey Cottrell was the first and most persevering of my callers when I took over as film editor at the L.A. Weekly in 1989. “El-la, bee-yootiful El-la,” he sang into my voice mail in his arch, ambiguously patrician countertenor. “It’s Mickey Cottrel-la,” and I knew I was in for a mega-pitch on behalf of some outlaw filmmaker with no publicity budget and a potential audience of 20. Mickey — he’s just not the kind of guy you call by his last name — practices a kind of above-the-fray camp courtliness that subtly lets you know he has the fix on your taste, and just as subtly wheedles more column inches out of you than you’d normally allot to the brainy esoterica he represents. (He also belongs to that small band of publicists who let you know when a film sucks without actually saying so.) Mercifully, Mickey’s own taste is both catholic and, nine times out of 10, immaculate. In his time, he has banged the drum for Wim Wenders’ Wings of Desire, Gus Van Sant’s My Own Private Idaho, David Gordon Green’s George Washington, and, most recently, critical favorites with audiences as diverse as Tarnation, Funny Ha Ha, Ballets Russes and Down to the Bone. One of his proudest accomplishments is rescuing Philip Noyce’s The Quiet American from the straight-to-video bin, into which Harvey Weinstein, in the wake of 9/11, was about to dump it because its protagonist, played by Brendan Fraser, was an American terrorist. With co-star Michael Caine, who plays the film’s jaded British reporter, Mickey went to work at the Toronto Film Festival building buzz and persuading critics to talk up the movie to Weinstein. Told by Miramax’s Mark Gill that Harvey was bitching about his manipulating the press (a case of pot and kettle if ever there was), Mickey took it as a compliment and threatened to send Harvey a dozen long-stemmed white roses. Next thing he knew, Caine was nominated for an Academy Award.

Most local critics know that Mickey acts on the side — his most famous bit part, which he wrote himself, was as a cheerily slimy john to River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho, and he also guest-starred opposite Famke Janssen in the Star Trek: Voyager television series. But few know that he was also a monk. “I was a hippie activist in the late 1960s,” he says. “And by 1969, it was clear that we had lost the revolution. I got very pissed off at America, and vowed to leave.” At the invitation of Tyrone Guthrie, with whom he’d acted for two years in Minneapolis, Mickey moved to London. When he arrived, the papers were full of obituaries for Guthrie (“So that was not good news”), and he embarked on “a year of debauchery on the Continent,” after which he signed up with the 13-year-old Maharaji, then in vogue, and spent 10 years following him around various American ashrams. Arriving in L.A. to work at the Loyola Movie Palace, which the guru then owned, Mickey set about transforming the theater into a revival house. He called local critics like Kevin Thomas, Peter Rainer, Kenny Turan, and the Weekly’s F.X. Feeney and Michael Ventura. “They all took me out to lunch and poured out their cinematic hearts, telling me that no distributor had ever asked their advice before.”

And so a renaissance publicist was born, as unlike the sleek new generation of professional PR smoothies as it’s possible to be. In his 20 years repping independent film, Mickey has witnessed sea changes in the business, not all of them bad. “The boundaries between studios and indies have broken down,” he says, “and I think that’s probably a good thing. There’s a lot more international cinema, especially from Asia — Korea, Thailand, India. But I don’t know about the great new American voices. We don’t see a Gus Van Sant or a Steven Soderbergh coming in. People look on indie work as a steppingstone to bigger and better things, so we don’t have visionaries who look at indie film as the greatest freedom.” Today his company, Inclusive PR, has expanded its functions to grassroots niche marketing and helping filmmakers to self-distribute their films in multiple cities. “It would be even more fun if I didn’t have to make a living at it,” he says. “I’ve always dreamed of the day I could afford to take out a full-page ad in Variety, requesting submissions for an absolutely free full Sundance PR campaign for one film I adore, one masterpiece to put all my efforts into and not represent the usual four films I’m paid to do.” Whoever wins that lottery will be one lucky cookie.

Related link: http://www.laweekly.com/la-people-2006/the-accidental-publicist/13187/

Previous Recommend Current page Next

Replies to this message

yes of course
Re: The name's familiar but that's about it -- anyone? -- Jim Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
aunt bea ®

04/20/2006, 08:58:58
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I lived with Mickey in the ashram in Elmhurst, Queens. He was the house mum. Later he ran the revival movie theatre in SF with Richie Azzarone. I love this guy.

In fact I even sent him a pretty trashy art film I made in the 80s.

A few things of interest. At some festival there was a quick rendition of "A night before Xmas" played for Maharaji. Mickey played scrooge. I think he also played the cowardly lion in a rendition of the Wizard of Oz for Rawat's children.

You can see him in at least one Star Trek episode as an ambassador of something.

But perhaps the most interesting thing in terms of this forum was his role as John in ""My own Private Idaho". Apparently he wrote or improvised the part himself and basically it is a parody of himself the way he used to give satsang. It's well worth rewatching that scene with that in mind. Very funny and wild.

And last but not least, Mickey was the very first ashram premie to sell Mexican pottery. Always the innovator!

The last time I saw him the two of us stayed with Richie when we both went to what I guess must have been our last Rawat program. We were both pretty jaded at that point and we went looking pretty wild in a post punk kind of way. I pretty much looked like a hari krishna drag queen in a tie-dyed silk dress accessorised with industrial netting. Mickey went in a shirt made from a postal sack. Ah! the glorious days of youth!

Modified by aunt bea at Thu, Apr 20, 2006, 09:20:59

Time to see the movie, I guess
Re: yes of course -- aunt bea Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Jim ®

04/20/2006, 09:07:01
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I never did see My Private Idaho although last night we watched King Kong which was pretty damn wild in places.  Better than I expected.

Any point saying hi to Mickey, AB in the context of the forum etc.?

I think rather outside of the context of this forum
Re: Time to see the movie, I guess -- Jim Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
aunt bea ®

04/20/2006, 09:23:29
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I'd think he's aware of the EPO and the forum already. Maybe I'll drop him a line.

Re: I think rather outside of the context of this forum
Re: I think rather outside of the context of this forum -- aunt bea Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Jim ®

04/20/2006, 09:29:31
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I'd say "Blasphemy!" but then Staker would write me up as advocating a Grand Inquisition.

Absolutely
Re: yes of course -- aunt bea Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Joe ®

04/20/2006, 11:37:39
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Later he ran the revival movie theatre in SF with Richie Azzarone.

Actually, the revival theater was in LA, Westwood to be exact.  Richie was the manager, sort of, of the theater, and Mickey was the guy who actually ran the place.  Mickey used to call me up in San Francisco, and ask that I send him all the calendars from the many revival movie houses in San Francisco.

The LA community had rented the theater as a satsang hall, and being that everything in the cult became how to make money for the next plane, yacht, or whatever monstrosity Rawat wanted, they were trying to make money off the theater, and hence the movies, and Mickey's "service."

I agree, very nice guy, sweet, creative, fun.

Later that Nazi David Smith, who became supreme ruler of the cult on the West Coast of the USA, told me that Richie had done a shitty job running the theater and I guess fired him, andy maybe Mickey too, although I don't think the revival theater made much money and didn't last too long.

Bea, do you have pictures of yourself in that outfit?  I would pay money to see them! 

BTW -- was that the festival that you and Richie and I (and I THINK Mickey was there), had dinner in that Italian restaurant in Miami? [With Richie there existed no other food than Italian.]   I know I was also pretty jaded by that point, although I think I went to one more, boring and ridiculous festival after that.  I actually think Guru Puja, 1982, yet another droning event in the Miami Beach Convention Center, was the last straw for me.

Modified by Joe at Thu, Apr 20, 2006, 11:40:31

oh yeah
Re: Absolutely -- Joe Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
aunt bea ®

04/20/2006, 12:23:03
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

LA, now it comes back. It also reminds me of a kind of funny story. There was a cute young premie girl who I was friends with in Chicago. She figured out that her parents were planning to deprogram her. So I remember arranging with Richie and Mickey that I would send her to LA and they would take care of her on the other end. And that's what happened – all completely informal without any honchos getting involved. Mickey used to call her Lola Montez and I suppose she became the urchin of his theatre.

I do remember that dinner with the enormous portions of food, but I don't think it was that time. Richie already had his child by then and Mickey, Tony and I were playing and trashing Richie's already trashed apartment. I think the time you are talking about Richie's wife was still pregnant.

The sad fate of the revival cinemas is that most of them went bust when videos became popular. I sometimes have cinema nights in the agency though, where I dig up an obscure film and show it with a beamer. Speaking of which, Aunt Bea's super great movie recommendation of the moment:

Nobody Knows, directed by Kore-eda Hirokazu

As a matter of fact I do have pictures of that outfit and many more. I'll just post them on the forum ... NOT!

When I dig them up I can send you some.

I suddenly feel very old
Re: oh yeah -- aunt bea Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Joe ®

04/20/2006, 12:45:16
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Geez, Richie's kid must be 24 or 25 now, about the age we were at the time.  Gulp.

I hear you about the revival cinemas.  Frankly, it was revivial cinemas and foreign films that deprogrammed me from the cult.  For about a year after we left the cult, Joy and I saw many, many foreign films (and I would get on Joy's case for smoking cigarettes).  Of course, along with the revival theaters, French cinema seems to have been destroyed by Hollywood.  But the 80s was a kind of renaissance for French film, I think.

But quite a number of revival theaters are holding on in San Francisco, and they seem to do it by coming out with new prints of great old films, getting people to show up to speak who were in the films, etc.  But there aren't as many as there used to be.

Did you see "The Dying Gaul?"  Patricia Clarkson and Peter Saarsgard are really good in it, but it's a disturbing film.

And finally, I just watched the final season of "Six Feet Under."  I don't think TV will be the same after that show.  Just tremendous and the final episode was really amazing.  Patricia Clarkson is great in that too.  Okay, okay, this is OT.

Can't wait to see the pictures, bea.

that's funny about the revival houses
Re: I suddenly feel very old -- Joe Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
aunt bea ®

04/20/2006, 16:16:36
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I can pretty much say the same thing, that they helped me get out of the cult. It was the first part of the outside world that I really got hooked on. I think the reason is that they were an easy window into a non-mainstream dimension of big feelings, deep thinking, artistic expression and basic non-mediocrity. It showed me that there was more of an alternative to Rawatism than the simple suburban pre-Walmartism that I had previously known and Rawat was happy to remind me and his other followers about at every turn. The world wasn't just crap, it was amazing. There were brilliant people around doing great things. Listening to someone talk about their experiences of knowledge just became boring and embarrassing, superficial actually, in comparison.

Anything else I would say at this point would be going directly OT. We'll chat later. But based on your recommendation, I guess I'll have to catch up on "Six Feet Under." I've limited my TV viewing in the last years to a rigid diet of BtVS. Got all the DVDs and proud of it. And just someone even try to make fun of that!

So where did I go wrong?
Re: that's funny about the revival houses -- aunt bea Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
hamzen ®

04/20/2006, 19:20:15
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Since all the time I was a premie bar the first four years I was well into french movies, especially Eric Rohmer, but also Truffaut, Godard, and what was that film, Jonah who will be 25 in the year 2000 etc etc

And yeah I came out loving the creativity and me seeing how amazing life was, which got me painting more, and more blissed out, and more into holy name, more appreciative of the next film i saw. This was true for a lot of art and writing too, except for Gunter Grass and Robert Motherwell with their determination to make doubt, indecision, heavty handedness something beatiful.

I especially remember a review of probably Grass' |Diary of A Snail by Gabriel Jospivoci where he taled about Grass being a great artist, because like all great artists he had made a strength out of his weakness, and for some reason that hurt, stripped some juju veneer away.

But this was 5 or so years later.

I lived in the ashram with Micky
Re: The name's familiar but that's about it -- anyone? -- Jim Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
OTS ®

04/20/2006, 10:25:28
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

What a great guy, natural comedian.  Nothing but fun.  This was in the real old days in 1972-73.  He almost stole the movie from River Phoenix in My Private Idaho.  What a great part and performance.  Would love to catch up with the old pranskter.

Re: The name's familiar but that's about it -- anyone?
Posted by:
Ebay Alert ®

04/20/2006, 12:45:45
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

He's done a bit of work in movies over the years.  I had heard of him but never met him. 

Related link: Mickey's Bio