Cultural Confusion
  Archive
Posted by:
Nik ®

04/19/2006, 03:01:40
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

The problem for any revisionist is that once a 'history' is known, or a cultural form is established,  it is almost impossible to prevent references popping up in unexpected places.

The following is from an odd bit of Christian speak - and Rawat's apologists will quickly state that the Maharaji referred to is someone other than Rawat - yet if you go around acceptinjg an honourary title - you have to accept responsibility for any confusion between you and some (other) religious leader.

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=269438&area=/insight/insight__national/

I don’t have the faintest idea whether the physical Jesus really brought his battered and speared body out of that garden tomb to set his colleagues alive with stories. They thought so. But in this urgent April of 2006, I find the story of the empty tomb a compelling vision.
Whenever I encounter truth in the world today that reflects the Way of old Jerusalem, whether it be:

• Thabo Mbeki or Jeremy Cronin seeking prosperity and peace;

• Ivan Abrahams brewing theology in African pots;

• Wilfrid Napier or Ray McCauley reviewing fundamentalism;

• A rabbi or moulana pointing the way to care and compassion;

• Hindus pondering the message of the arti tray (silver tray used in devotional songs to Maharaji);

• Nokuzola Mdende catching the relevance of traditional spiritual reality in ubuntu and seriti (ancestral spirit);

• people discarding fanatical heresies, or replacing competing nationalisms with cooperative communities;

• businesses making commerce a means not an end; or

• journalists commending happy responsible sex, and telling stories of hope and promise; then

• recognise the truth of Jesus that sets us free.

And there is the young prophet of Nazareth, bronzed by the sun, not wearing a biretta or a dog collar but jeans and a T-shirt, striding along the path ahead of us, leading us on, out there, amandla!
    Poetic stuff? Yes, of course.
    But the resurrection story of Jesus is too good to be ignored. It never says: “Die!” It says: “Live!” -- Cedric Mayson

• Previous Recommend Current page Next