Memories of Reggie Brown
  Archive
Posted by:
Joe ®

12/27/2005, 13:16:33
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I didn't know Reggie well, but in all my interactions with him, he always seemed thoughtful, caring and a very nice guy. I knew his wife, Emmy a lot better.  I heard some time ago that Reggie had terminal cancer and that it was only a matter of time...  Thanks for posting the obituaries, and I want to express my sympathy to Emmy and Reggie's kids and their families. Here is my main memory of Reggie:

In 1979, I had been sent to Washington DC to be the community coordinator after working for a few months at IHQ for Elan Vital, which was then in the Broadripple Hotel on Miami Beach. 

When I arrived, Reggie was working in the Carter Administration in the Department of Energy -- his job had something to do with gasoline supplies and price controls on gasoline.  If you recall, around the middle of 1979, OPEC shut off oil supplies and for the first time, Americans had to line up to buy gasoline, [which pretty much destroyed the Carter Administration and opened the door for Reagan].  I remember you could only buy gasoline on certain days, depending on whether your license plate ended in an odd or even number.  Like everything else, Reggie seemed immensely capable and knowledgeable.  I remember he recommended that the local community buy a (Datsun) Nissan station wagon for the community, one that burned "leaded" gas [Nissan had one that met EPA standards] because the supply of leaded gas was the most plentiful, and indeed that's what was done based on his advice.

Anyhow, while I was there, Reggie left his government position and he and the entire family moved to Miami to be part of the DECA project, reconditioning a plane for Rawat's personal use, which was the top priority for Rawat at the time.  I remember standing in the kitchen of the Brown's beautiful home in Potomac, Maryland as they were packing up getting ready to leave.  [I think Reggie went first, and the family followed later, but I don't recall exactly.]  Reggie told me then that he had been through Vietnam, and lots of other dicey things, but that this was the most frightening thing he had ever done.  He really did look scared, because he was going to be directly serving the living incarnation of God.  I knew exactly what he meant -- working directly for the all-powerful Perfect Master was considered the most confronting, freak-out, mind-frying, but also glorious, thing you could ever do. Reggie was also giving up his "outside world" career. 

You will recall that one of the parts of the Rawat cult belief system is that Maharaji's grace works on burning out your evil mind, and that this can be a very scary process.  The idea was that the closer you got to the imbodiment of the grace, the MORE your brain would fry and the more it would try to torture you.

I remember being very inspired by what Reggie was doing and how afraid he was -- because I was also indoctrinated in the Rawat cult to believe that your faith in the living incarnation of God would be tested, and Reggie was clearly being tested, and that surrendering was easy until these tests came along.

I was preconditioned to believe this from my Christian background.  Remember the biblical story of "doubting Thomas?" The apostle Thomas disavowed Jesus 3 times to, I think, the Romans or the Pharasies, or something, because he was afraid.  I and many premies put Reggie's and Emmy's decision to abandon their very nice life in Potomac to go work for refurbishing a Boeing 707 in a slave camp for the Lord, in that category, although Reggie had come through -- he didn't doubt, he had faith and surrendered, for himself and for his whole family.  He wasn't a doubting Thomas; he was a devoted premie.

The devotion and surrender of Reggie Brown was a subject of much satsang and moralizing for sometime after that.  Of course, the plane project was a secret at that time, even to most of the premies, and so the 707 itself was never mentioned in these little premie parables.

Some time later, I, too, got sent to go work at the DECA plane project.  Although I saw Emmy there all the time, I almost never saw Reggie.  I talked to Emmy a lot, who is a lovely person, and very dedicated, caring and giving.  She was always very helpful to me, in both a personal and a "service" sense.  Emmy always said Reggie was off doing "special projects" for Maharaji, and I knew it was probably confidential and I shouldn't ask about it.   By this time, Rawat had a new "residence" in Miami Beach, and all the operations of EV had been sent to Miami from Denver and Southern California.

Emmy talked to me about how hard it was on her and the kids to be uprooted to live in substandard conditions in Miami, about all the financial issues that confronted them, all the stresses, and at one point she really doubted the people running the DECA project because of the way the premies were abused who worked there (how they didn't have time to go to satsang, and how they were exhausted, worked around the clock until they collapsed, etc.).  But Emmy just tried to have faith, to surrender, to meditate and go to satsang.  She and I both believed that we were too lowly to understand Maharaji's divine plan, so we should just not doubt and surrender.

Anyhow, after DECA, Emmy tried to work as a real estate agent in Miami, and she worked with me to find ashrams for the Miami community in Coral Gables, because I was coordinator in Miami by then.  She had done the same in DC.  Emmy was a great person. Again, I rarely, if ever, saw Reggie.  He was now part of the "other premie world," the world that wasn't part of a premie community.  I'm sure if he was head of Rawat's security he had a lot to do, as Rawat seemed obsessed with security and apparently still is.

By this point, there was a huge divide in the cult.  There were the rank and file premies, there were the ashram premies, there were the initiators, and then there were the premies and initiators who did service directly for Maharaji, in OGM, the residence, and in Rawat's secretive "special projects," like DECA.  The latter categories of people NEVER attended satsang in the community, or had anything to do with the community.  It was like they were in a different world, and that seemed to happen to Reggie -- he was in that other world. 

After I left Miami at the end of 1980, I only saw Emmy at festivals and I don't recall ever seening Reggie again.   After I left the cult in 1983, I didn't even have those opportunities.

I had heard that both Reggie and Emmy went through their various periods of difficulty with Rawat and the cult.  And I wonder what they thought of all the changes, ex-premies and the rest.  I was glad to hear that Reggie had gone back to his career (even if it was for the Bush administration. )

My thoughts are with Emmy and Reggie's family, and I'm sorry Reggie had to go so young.

Modified by Joe at Tue, Dec 27, 2005, 13:57:20

Previous Recommend Current page Next

Replies to this message

Thanks Joe!
Re: Memories of Reggie Brown -- Joe Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
shelagh ®

12/27/2005, 14:02:46
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I didn't know Reggie Brown at all--not sure I even ever heard his name!  I came into the premie arena in 1981 when so much had already happened, and obviously a great deal was still happening that us lowly premies would never have been privy to!  It's interesting to get this history, especially from someone who was actually there--because I think some part of me knew that there was not a free flow of information, and that took away the chance to make an intelligent and informed choice about so much to do with this whole trip!  It's both a relief and a source of anger to me that that my "hunches" were after all telling me something, but the glossing-over machine was in high gear.  And I admit it, too--I wanted the fun and the escape of "knowledge" and all the programs and the glamour (howsoever borrowed) and all of that.

Thanks, Joe!  It helps me, too, to know how these things affected you, both then and now--as do all the stories here from people who preceded me in this strange and dangerous realm.

~Shelagh

Re: Memories of Reggie Brown
Posted by:
Dermot ®

12/27/2005, 14:33:59
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Thanks Joe for adding a human dimension to the two formal obits. As for EV's obit...typical

Christian upbringing
Posted by:
Will ®

12/27/2005, 14:44:26
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

You better get your Bible back out.  Wasn't that John who thrice denied?  Thomas' doubts came after the resurrection when Jesus had to show him the nail holes!

But thanks for the stories.

I looked it up
Re: Christian upbringing -- Will Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Will ®

12/27/2005, 14:51:04
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

It was Peter.  That ingrate!

Re: I looked it up
Re: I looked it up -- Will Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Joe ®

12/28/2005, 18:17:37
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Thanks.  Right.  It was Peter who disavowed Christ three times, and it was Thomas who didn't believe the resurrection.  Anyhow, they both kind of apply.

Posted by:
wolfie ®

12/28/2005, 10:38:14
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Hi,

thanks very much for the story, it gave me the taste of that time, we all tried so hard to surrender. It's nearly painfull to remember how serious we were all, it was a crime to got so pushed in.

wolfie

Posted by:
OTS ®

12/28/2005, 11:45:12
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Thanks, Joe.  That was wonderful. 

Regi Brown was a close friend of mine.  His funerals are today in Virginia and tomorrow at West Point.  I have no inclination today to listen to that third-rate new york intellectual know-nothing John Horton give the eulogy for my friend.  Horton and his nebbishness actually sicken me.  However, I would not be surprised if Rawat showed up tomorrow for the military funeral in upstate New York, as I would guess, contrary to posts below, that he HAS attended a premie funeral or two in the past.  (How about the late Mahatma Sampurnanand's, for example, a couple of years ago).  I thought that the obvious "our team-mate Emmy" message first posted by Mike Finch should have been a tip-off that that announcement was from some premie TEAM member.  At that point, a search for the actual obit/death notice would have been proper before posting the premie-only version, IMHO,  but no biggie.  (The problem with EV and its TEAMS is that no one in charge was ever involved in athletics in his/her entire lives, it seemed -- an all-nerd cult, and no one has the slightest idea what a "team" is and what being a member of a team entails.) 

Perhaps contrary to what was posted by an anonymous friend via Mike Finch (though I felt that post had old info), I have now learned that Regi evidently was set to go back to full-time service this coming summer (and not back with the Bush Administration).  His choices were his choices.  His wife, a devout devotee, loved him regardless.  We all loved him because he was such a unique and great, loveable person and family man, with a lot of warm humility and a beautiful wife, kids and grandkids.  Perhaps he decided this after his deadly diagnosis, which came only 90 days ago.  Perhaps prior.  Whatever.  The picture books of his early years as a West Point Cadet in the late 1950's are awesome.  He was trim, fit and a professional soldier; all spit and polish in a buttoned-down uniform.  So handsome.  The pictures of his induction in the summer of 2001 as Assistant Secretary of the Army after his appointment by the President were also beautiful:  A non-soldier big grin from ear to ear with the body of a panda bear – that we all loved.  What was not beautiful was Regi laying there.

This man's life cannot in any way be diminished by spinning anything.  May he rest in peace.

Re: Memories of Regi Brown
Re: Re: Memories of Reggie Brown -- OTS Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Joe ®

12/28/2005, 18:16:22
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

It IS amazing that Elan Vital can turn even an obituary into an chance to raise money from the premies.  Even if it wasn't published, just sent around via email to premies.  Funny how Elan Vital chose to leave off the entirety of the wishes of the family -- that people give donations either to a fund for pancreatic cancer OR to EV. 

Come to think of it, I'm wouldn't be surprised that if Rawat attends the funeral at West Point, we will see a press release from the likes of Linda Pascotto and/or Willow Baker such that Rawat will get credit for showing up some (additional) prestigious place.  We shall see, I guess.

I'm curious -- is this "team" word current cult lingo?  Something along the lines of "synchronized," "gift," of "fulfillment?"

A cult of nerds.  That's a good one.

Re: Memories of Regi Brown
Re: Re: Memories of Regi Brown -- Joe Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
OTS ®

12/28/2005, 19:00:17
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

May I disagree?  It was the Family's wishes.  All teams all the time for the past 8 years I'd guess.  Late 90's Valerio speak.  Premie teams are like getting together with President Bush for an evening of input (no democrats need attend; you won't even be able to get in the door), who in the end just says:  "This is what me [and Dick, Rummy and Condi think] Now just Do it, ya little p***ks!  Will the press release imply that "Rawat went to West Point."???

Modified by OTS at Wed, Dec 28, 2005, 19:03:39

Posted by:
Nigel ®

12/28/2005, 13:03:58
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Thanks, Joe,

I never heard of Reggie Brown, but your tribute at least seems to do him some kind of justice as a man of human (as opposed to merely devotee) qualities.  I think people - premies or exes - will hopefully compare and contrast your piece with the perfunctory gurunoid tribute below.

('Regi Brown, husband of our team-mate Emmy Brown, passed away on the morning of December 17th, 2005, after three months of a valiant fight with pancreatic cancer. Regi is survived by Emmy, their daughter Denise and son Eric and five grandchildren. Regi had expressed that the most rewarding, fulfilling and enjoyable years of his life were the years he spent in full-time service to Maharaji. Regi was a wonderful man whose outstanding qualities were his love for Maharaji and Knowledge, his love for his family, and his integrity and dedication to principle. Regi was valued, trusted and highly respected in his service to Maharaji. In lieu of flowers, Emmy is requesting donations be made to Elan Vital in memory of Regi Brown.')

Nigel