Archive
Posted by:
Nik ®

01/26/2006, 04:27:13
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/mg18925361.000.html

Access to the full text requires subscription (or you buy a paper copy) - they are offering a one off deal for this edition though:

Whether or not you call yourself religious there are things you believe in. The notion that humans are essentially benevolent, perhaps - or maybe the exact opposite. Some hard-line atheists believe religion is the root of all evil, the very antithesis of science, and certainly not a proper subject for scientific inquiry. But a growing number of researchers think otherwise. The study of belief in all its forms has become a very hot topic, and in this three-feature special New Scientist examines some of the emerging ideas.

Starting from the standpoint that religious belief is a part of human nature, Robin Dunbar addresses two key questions about its origins: why did it evolve, and at what stage did our ancestors start believing in gods (How evolution found God). Dunbar notes that actively religious people live longer, healthier lives, but as Alison Motluk reveals in "When delusion triumphs over truth", we can learn most about the neurobiological underpinnings of belief by studying people with both physical and mental illnesses. The placebo effect shows, for example, how even a misplaced belief can have positive results. Finally, in "Glad to be gullible", Clare Wilson takes this idea a step further. She asks why so many people believe in the paranormal, and discovers that being gullible has its upside.

These are premium features, which can be accessed in full through our low-cost introductory subscription.

From issue 2536 of New Scientist magazine, 28 January 2006, page 28

Modified by Nik at Thu, Jan 26, 2006, 04:27:43

Previous Recommend Current page Next

Replies to this message

thanks
Re: Excellent Articles on Brain, Belief and Religion -- Nik Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Ian ®

01/26/2006, 05:31:54
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Thanks so much for this, Nik. I'm glad I subscribed. Vital stuff!

Modified by Ian at Thu, Jan 26, 2006, 05:44:33

That's a teaser for a public forum...
Re: Excellent Articles on Brain, Belief and Religion -- Nik Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Dermot ®

01/26/2006, 09:35:26
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

ever heard of copy&paste or should we all subscribe en masse to participate in the debate?

Only half kidding...

Modified by Dermot at Thu, Jan 26, 2006, 09:38:31

Re: That's a teaser for a public forum...
Re: That's a teaser for a public forum... -- Dermot Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Nik ®

01/26/2006, 17:13:35
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Well I'm not sure this Forum's owners want to be faced with a copyright complaint from New Scientist. I agree it's frustrating to highlight an article that isn't available to everyone but .. at least folks now know it is there - or rather three articles are there. It's important to distinguish between the NS articles, which although they may be of particular interest to ex premies, are not about us or Rawat, and, in contrast Geaves' article which was also accessed via a subscription site and was published almost in full on F8, where there was a clear 'fair use' argument to be made.

nik

Yeah, I understand all that..
Re: Re: That's a teaser for a public forum... -- Nik Top of thread Archive
Posted by:
Dermot ®

01/26/2006, 18:02:02
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

I was just indulging in a grumble after reading a couple of paragraphs and coming to a stop sign...no big deal.

Just let me know if/when nanny New Labour creates an Act for me to pursue my grumble, get lost in a bureaucrats heaven and exit even more frustrated without resolution. That's probably what I need. Oh hold on, probably easier just to subscribe.

: )

They're good articles
Posted by:
Anthony ®

01/28/2006, 16:39:36
Author Profile

Alert Forum Admin

Just read them all.

I'd like to come back about certain points next week, but basically, very informative.

In some ways very explanatory, but raising other points.