It's the stuff surrounding it that is questionable:
- Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful
- No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
- No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget
or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.
- Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as
impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
- There is no legitimate reason to leave, former
followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
- Former members often relate the same stories of
abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
- There are records, books, news articles, or
broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.
- Followers feel they can never be "good
- The group/leader is always right.
- The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing
"truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is
really acceptable or credible.